Home Find Us About Rates Our Park Gallery Events Local Fun Contact Us Sun logo copyrighted & licensed for use by Dakota Collectibles
© 2017 Web designed and managed by Coastside Consulting  
1-888-8RV-PARK For Reservations Some History About Our Town...  In 1884, Charles B. and John Eddy formed a livestock company with Amos Bissell to operate in southeastern New Mexico. One of their first ventures was the Halagueno Ranch, which covered the area from Seven Rivers to La Huerta, NM.  In 1887, Charles B. Eddy built the Halagueno diversion ditch on the Pecos River 3 miles above the later site of Avalon Dam and incorporated the venture as the Pecos Valley Land and Ditch Company. He was seeking funds from a Swiss bank to attract European settlers to the clean air and sunny climate.  In 1888, former sheriff Pat Garrett (who gunned down Billy the Kid) and promoter Charles Greene joined with Eddy to create a system of canals and flumes for diversion of water to their properties. Greene secured potential investors from the east including Robert W. Tansill, manufacturer of the Punch five cent cigar. Eddy and his partners laid out plans for a new town on the south bank of the Pecos River, which was incorporated as the town of Eddy on September 15, 1888.  In 1889, the first school in Eddy opened on South Main with 35 pupils. In 1890, the Witt brothers completed construction of a wooden flume near Eddy for irrigation, and the county seat moved from Seven Rivers to Eddy. In 1890, the bridge over the Pecos River at Greene Street was completed, and Avalon Dam with its many canals were completed. On January 10, 1891, the first railroad train arrived in Eddy on the newly completed line from Pecos, Texas.  In 1899, by a vote of 83-43, the city residents voted to rename their community Carlsbad, after the famous European health resort, Karlsbad, Bohemia (now the Czech Republic). The mineral content and related healing properties of the water in the two cities, continents apart, was virtually identical.  Carlsbad Spring still flows today in the northern corner of the city, near the Pecos Flume, one of the most impressive structures in Carlsbad. The concrete aqueduct is Carlsbad's own "Believe It Or Not" entry -- the river that crosses itself. Originally built of wood, the flume was rebuilt with concrete following the 1902 flood, and at the time of construction, was the largest concrete structure in the world. It is still in use today, carrying Pecos River water from Lake Avalon across the river. Carlsun loves Carlsbad!and wants you to know some cool facts about the town! Carlsbad RV Park and Campground